- Of the 152 million children trapped in child labor, 64 million are girls [source].
- 73 million children are trapped in hazardous child labor—27.8 million are girls.
- 29 million women and girls are in modern slavery—71 percent of the overall total of enslaved individuals [source].
- Women represent 99.4 percent of the victims of forced labor in the commercial sex industry [source].
- Women and girls represent 84 percent of the victims of forced marriages, now categorized as a form of modern slavery [source]. There are an estimated 15 million individuals in forced marriages.
- Worldwide, there are an estimated 67 million domestic workers—3/4 are women [source].
- 132 million girls were out of school in 2016 [source].
- 9 in 10 girls complete their primary education, but only 3 in 4 complete their lower secondary education [source].
- In low-income countries, less than 2/3 of girls complete their primary education [source].
- 42 million people have fled their homes because of armed conflicts; 50 percent are women; 10 million are estimated to be girls and young women. [source]
- In 2017, there were an estimated 68.5 million forcibly displaced people, including 25.4 million refugees—half are women and girls. [source]
CLC members—the Ramsay Merriam Fund, the American Federation of Teachers, and the National Education Association—made this web site possible through their generous support.
National Consumers League
1701 K Street, N.W., Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20006