- Of the 152 million children trapped in child labor, 64 million are girls [source].
- 73 million children are trapped in hazardous child labor—27.8 million are girls.
- 29 million women and girls are in modern slavery—71 percent of the overall total of enslaved individuals [source].
- Women represent 99.4 percent of the victims of forced labor in the commercial sex industry [source].
- Women and girls represent 84 percent of the victims of forced marriages, now categorized as a form of modern slavery [source]. There are an estimated 15 million individuals in forced marriages.
- Worldwide, there are an estimated 67 million domestic workers—3/4 are women [source].
- 132 million girls were out of school in 2016 [source].
- 9 in 10 girls complete their primary education, but only 3 in 4 complete their lower secondary education [source].
- In low-income countries, less than 2/3 of girls complete their primary education [source].
- 42 million people have fled their homes because of armed conflicts; 50 percent are women; 10 million are estimated to be girls and young women. [source]
- In 2017, there were an estimated 68.5 million forcibly displaced people, including 25.4 million refugees—half are women and girls. [source]
You might also like
National Consumers League
1701 K Street, N.W., Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20006
All Content Copyright the Child Labor Coalition, site photos courtesy of Robin Romano
CLC members—the Ramsay Merriam Fund, the American Federation of Teachers, and the National Education Association—made this web site possible through their generous support.